Tuesday 11 January 2011

URGENT: UNDERGRADUATE CONFERENCE

Bilkent University in Ankara is holding an undergraduate conference from 28-29 April, and has invited students to apply to present papers. Bilkent will also pay for your accommodation.

The deadline is soon - January 28 - so if any of you would like to do this, I'm very happy to support you. It's an excellent opportunity: not only for those of you interested in going on to further study, but for any of you thinking of a career that involves giving presentations or speaking in public. It will also be an opportunity to meet other students from around Turkey and perhaps even beyond.

The theme of the conference is the representation of "the other" in literary studies, but the organisers say that its scope is meant to be broader. They say on their website that possible topics may include, but are not limited to:

· Experiences of Otherness
· Embracing or Abjecting "the Other"
· Psychology of "the Other"
· Racial Otherness
· Gender Politics
· Homosexuality and Othering
· Selfhood/ Identity/ Madness
· Woman as "the Other"
· Othering in Motherhood
· Culture and Othering

To apply, you have to "send a 250-word statement of purpose to the committee by January 28, 2011. The committee will review the statements on the basis of academic value and originality and notifications of acceptance will be sent by February 15."

If you are have an idea, let me know and I can help you produce a strong 250-word statement. You can also apply to attend even if you don't want to give a paper. You might even want to organise a panel or a workshop.

7 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful news... Thanks for this information. I really want to do this and come to visit your office next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great - I don't know who you are as you haven't put your name, but I look forward to seeing you!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attempted to visit you many times but I couldnt achieve my goal :) r u available tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - I'm afraid I'm currently in the UK, resolving Visa and passport issues. If you want help with a proposal for the conference, though, send me an email and I'll be happy to do what I can. I'll be regularly checking my email all week.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am very pleased to see that you encourage people here for the conference -we are organizing!

    Thanks,
    Nur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Nur,
    You're welcome! It looks like you've done a great job and I hope one or two students from IKU will apply to attend and perhaps even give papers. We'll see!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you love to visit the great Vietnam and you can't get a visa, you need to visit the great www.greenvisa.io/ visa service site and they will take care of your visa problems.

    ReplyDelete