Tuesday 15 February 2011

Nineteenth-Century Novel II - editions and Friday's class

We have tried to contact Pandora to check stocks of the Oxford World's Classics edition of Jane Eyre. Unfortunately the relevant person will not be at work until Thursday, so we shall speak to her/him then. I should then be able to let you know the situation on Friday.

For Friday, please read the first chapter of Jane Eyre. You can find this online at Project Gutenberg. Enotes also has a useful online edition with notes explaining difficult words (you see, I can speak well of eNotes, even if it's through gritted teeth...). You don't need to do any other preparation for Friday's class. We'll start seminars NEXT week.

We will definitely use the Oxford World's Classics edition of The Picture of Dorian Gray. We will almost certainly also use the Oxford World's Classics edition of Dracula. Oxford are issuing a new edition this month, which should be available by the time we begin to read it. This is also, I think, a sign that Dracula's literary importance is increasingly being recognised.

2 comments:

  1. After reading Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde I couldn't wait to read more gothic like novels. Gothic novels may resemble the novels we read last semester by means of themes. What makes them special is their plots! I think the symbols and images in the Gothic novels are much more exciting in so many ways. Everything that has the gothic symbols charms me anyways, gothic music, architecture and of course literature and fiction. Right now I have little information about the gothic literature (when compared to gothic music and architecture) But I will learn more as soon as possible now that you are telling, we are going to read Dracula! I can't say no more and I think I can't wait to begin reading the novel. (By the way I am sorry I couldn't come to the classes this week. I had a little surgical operation and I must rest until next week. I hope I can be at school by Tuesday!)

    Büşra Öztürk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Büşra,
    Good to heara you are looking forward to the course! There are lots of elements that make the gothic intriguing, I think, and I'll do my best to introduce you to these. One reason I want you to read Dracula - and one reason that I think it has become increasingly studied by literary critics - is that it fuses elements of the Gothic with quite 'modern' elements that you might not expect. I hope you feel better soon and good luck with the recovery.

    Time allowing, I will post a update on the editions we will be using this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete