Thursday 4 November 2010

Love, Zizek and Great Expectations

Recently we looked at the different kinds of love in Great Expectations, and their consequences for those who experience them. It was a fascinating discussion (for me at least), especially as I found out more about Turkish ideas of (and words for) love.

Some of you also asked me my own views on love. I promised to put something on here. My own views probably aren't very interesting. Where they're most interesting, they are probably not my own, but second-hand. So here is a video of Slavoj Zizek on love - this seems pretty convincing to me.

3 comments:

  1. So you say "Love is evil" :) it is not much different than what Miss Havisham says, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But evil in a 'good' way (to put it trivially) - evil in something like the spirit of (Blake's reading of) Milton's Satan. Perhaps. It's a technical sense of evil. I think Miss Havisham started off with a Romantic view of love. I'll have to think about the relationship between Zizek's view and Miss Havisham's words on the subject to Pip...

    Thanks for the comment, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we, in poetry class, already talked about language may fail to say what i want to say. love is similar as a word, one state of soul that can not be expressed properly. i think it is relative, very much in the eye of the beholder. it can never be a co-operation, it must always be for one person because it is selfish and it cannot share the control with the other partier. it has to haunt the one who is in love itself. this is my personal idea about love, yet miss Havisham has her own motives to talk about love the way she speaks. remember she still wears her wedding dress though it belongs to the Gothic fashion now =) love seems to be violent to me too. love is not always pure love all the time but the other desires it brings along, they are violent! think of passion, sensuality, wish to possess.if love is evil a bit, it must be because of all these consequences. love cannot be pure love in practical life, if it could then it wouldn't be violent. also my thought =)

    ReplyDelete