Thursday 2 December 2010

Modernist Film - Buster Keaton's Cops

I've discussed with a couple of you now the relation between film and modernism. I'll post more on this later - and if there's enough interest and I can sort out the technology, we can run an extra session on it. For now, though, have a look at Buster Keaton's Cops. Suspend your prejudices about what you think you are about to see, and you might be surprised. Keaton influenced Bunuel and Salvador Dali, and later worked with Samuel Beckett.

(If you would be interested in an extra session on film, add a comment below - this will give me an idea of the levels iof interest. Thanks!)

7 comments:

  1. I'm down for an extra-session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if Dali was influenced by Keaton, I can never say no to Keaton! I am getting more curious.

    Selver

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm up for a film session. if it's ok we can run it with those who want to do that session. any other suggestions guyz?

    ReplyDelete
  4. a suggestion: with our previous British lecturer we used to have a look at some paintings related to the movement/period that we were focusing on. having a look at the paintings were very much inspiring us(or maybe just me as a person crazy for visual arts:) )
    What would you all say?
    Selver

    ReplyDelete
  5. paintings are good idea, also time-saving for the general of the class, agreeable. but films are always my favourite =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly with modernism you should all be looking at the art of the period - the literary avant-garde was especially closely connected to the visual arts, as well as music and dance. I've talked about T. S. Eliot and Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite Of Spring) - we'll be coming back to this. Sculpture was a particular interest of many modernists. Ezra Pound was sculpted by Henri Gaudier-Brzeska. I'm certainly happy to bring more references to other art-forms into our discussions in class, although my feeling is that we have very little time to focus on the poems themselves as it is. I'll try to use the blog to highlight more connections and avenues for you to explore, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also interested in a cinema extra session.
    I really like the Buster Keaton's film, I'm just a bit surprised by the anachronistic music they put on it which I think doens't really fit well !

    Constance

    ReplyDelete