Thursday 16 December 2010

Run-on sentences

Run-on sentences were perhaps the single most common grammatical problem I came across when marking your midterms. I'm not going to fully explain what they are and how to avoid them here. If I identifed run-ons as a problem in your writing, though, I recommend that you look at this website. It gives a simple explanation of how you can join together separate, independent clauses. (You can also try the exercises; the answers are given on the same page).  In particular, note method 3. You cannot simply join two independent clauses with a comma; instead, you need a comma and a connecting word (e.g. and, but, or, for - when for means because). So, instead of writing
Mrs. Joe is cruel to Pip, she often beats him. 
you should write
Mrs Joe is cruel to Pip, and she often beats him.
or
Mrs. Joe is cruel to Pip; she often beats him.
or
Mrs. Joe is cruel to Pip. She often beats him.
I hope this helps a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment